Steam not opening on your Mac? As a gamer, it is a nightmare that you don’t even want to think about. Nevertheless, the reality may disagree with you.
Usually, steam works seamlessly on every operating system or computing device. But now, more than ever, it has been crashing and not letting the user access it. Many users facing a similar issue on their Mac find themselves at their wit’s end while looking for a solution.
A few of the common issues with steam are when you are trying to open it does not react or function, and other times it simply won’t open. Also, when it does open, when you try to play a game, it merely crashes, leaving you frustrated in front of your computer screen. And it becomes even more annoying when after launching the program, you have to open the task manager next to see if it is running in the background or not.
As frustrating as it is, the good news is that you can quickly fix this problem. You don’t have to have a unique set of skills to solve the problem. Moreover, you don’t even have to seek help from steam’s official helpdesk to find the solution to this problem.
In this short guide, you will find the answers to all your problems that you’ve been facing with steam. Let the games begin:
Steam Not Opening? Here Are the Ways to Fix it On macOS
Before you start trying anything else, the first step you need to follow is to restart your computer and then try opening the steam app once again. Although this step may seem a little unnecessary, it can help you solve a lot of significant problems with your computer.
The next thing that may cause your steam client to act up is your internet connection. Due to the slow network connection, your steam client may start acting up and does not open whenever you try to initiate the app. Therefore, you need to restart both your computer and your internet source and try logging into the steam client once your Mac restarts again.
Note: To restart your modem, ensure you unplug it from the power source.
In most cases, a simple restart solves the problem; however, if the issue is still present following the next step.
Easy Fix to Get Your Steam App up and Running
After trying everything, your Steam app is still not working. The fix mentioned below can help you troubleshoot this issue in the most effective manner. To make this fix work, you’ll have to delete all the Steam from your system and then reinstall it, which you’ll find in the next section.
Before you start doing anything, check if your Steam client is still not working. Try to open it by clicking on its icon, if steam won’t open, check its status in the activity monitor. Now you have made sure that your Steam client is not working on your device. Let’s get ready to apply the fix:
- Drag your steam into the trash. However, it won’t remove the app but only delete the shortcut from your main screen. If dragging does not work for you; simply;y right click on the icon and click on the “Move to Trash” option and you are all set.
- For the next step, go to the Applications folder, press Command + Shift + G. A new window will appear in front of your screen asking you what folder you want to open. Now enter, “~/Library/Application Support” (without typing the quotes) and click “Go.”
- In this new folder, that appears in front of you after running the command you’ve just entered, try to find the “Steam” folder and move it to the trash as well.
- To delete the Steam you can drag it to the trash can or you can also right-click on the folder and select the option “Move to Trash.”
Now, you have successfully deleted the Steam app from your computer. You will have to reinstall it to access all your games. Hence, the next step is to:
How to Reinstall the Steam App on Mac
To install the Steam client on your Mac, there are a few prerequisites that you’ll need to fulfill. The first thing is you’ll need a fast internet connection and second a web browser on your system. Now to install the application follow the steps below:
- Click on your web browser and go to the official Steam website.
- On the top right corner of your browser’s window, you’ll find a green button saying “Install Steam.”
Note: In case you are already a Steam user, which you probably are, you can simply log into your Steam account in the web browser. But if you need to play the games you have purchased, there is no option but to download the steam client on your system.
- Once you’ve clicked on the “Install Steam,” you’ll be directed to a new page, where you will be able to download the steam client.
- Once you’ve finished downloading the app, go to your “Downloads” folder. There you will find a file named “Steam.dmg.”
- Click on it, a window will appear allowing you to choose the destination of the app and where you want to install it. Once you are done selecting the location of the installation, click “Next.”
- Now, the application has been installed on your Mac, to complete the task, click “Finish.”
After successfully installing the software, you’ll have to re-enter your login credentials to access your gaming data via the Steam client. Therefore, you’ll find a Steam icon right in front of you. Click to open it, and a small window will appear, enter your email address and password. It will take a few minutes before you can access your games library.
Once you are logged in, you are back on track and ready to play your games once again.
If you are a serious gamer and have problems logging into your Steam account, this short guide will help you. The steps mentioned above will solve every problem you’ve been having while logging into your Steam account. Follow the instructions and get the most out of your efforts.