In today’s globalized world, interpretation services are a necessity. These services help individuals, businesses, and governments break down language barriers. However, the challenge arises in choosing the right partner to provide exceptional interpretation solutions.
So, how do you choose the right interpretation service? Read on to learn more.
Understanding Interpretation Services
Interpretation services are used to interpret conversations, presentations, and speeches from one language to another. In most cases, these interpretation services are provided by a professional interpreter or a team of interpreters.
Also, there are different types of interpreting services. They include:
- Consecutive interpreting. In simultaneous interpreting, the speaker will talk for approximately five minutes, then take a break to allow the interpreter to interpret.
- Simultaneous interpreting. During simultaneous interpreting, the interpretation happens as the speaker is talking, typically with a 30-second delay.
- Whisper interpreting. In whisper interpreting, the interpreter will sit next to the individual needing interpreting service and then whisper the interpretation in their preferred language.
- Travel interpreting. The interpreters will travel with small groups or individuals needing interpretation services.
- Over-the-phone interpreting. As the name suggests, over-the-phone interpreting takes place over the phone, as the name suggests.
Factors to Consider When Choosing an Interpretation Service
There are several interpretation service providers available in the market today. However, not all of them will provide you with the best interpretation solutions. Thus, it would be best if you considered the following factors before choosing an interpretation service:
Language proficiency and expertise of interpreters
Language proficiency and expertise should be among the first factors you should consider. This proficiency, especially in your preferred language, can ensure accurate interpretation. Thus, always go for language-proficient interpreters.
In addition, check their expertise in your industry. For example, if you are in the medical field, the best interpreters for you are those specializing in medical interpretation. Note that using translators with expertise in your area will ensure accurate use of industry-specific terminologies.
Technology and Equipment
The type of technology and equipment used in an interpretation service can impact its quality. Therefore, when choosing an interpretation service, consider the type of technology and equipment available. Always go for a provider with the best technology and equipment. Note that the technology and equipment can include:
- Note-taking materials include computers, tablets, pens, paper, and highlighters;
- Translation memory software;
- Sound attenuating booths;
- Speech recognition software;
- Wireless interpreting systems;
- Mobile interpreting apps;
- Telephone interpreting systems;
- Video conferencing software;
Service Delivery Options
The type of service delivery should also impact your decision on the kind of interpretation service to choose. One thing that you should note is that there are several service delivery options available for you. They include:
- Over-the-phone interpretation. This over-the-phone interpretation is one of the cheapest methods of service delivery. The best thing about it is that it is available 24/7 and provides quick access to interpretation services.
- On-site interpretation. It ensures a face-to-face translation takes place. It is ideal for conferences, healthcare appointments, legal proceedings, and business meetings.
- Video remote interpreting. This type of interpretation service allows interpreters to work remotely. It is ideal for business meetings, legal depositions, medical consultations, and conferences where participants are not needed on-site.Interpretation booths. In interpreting booths, interpretation services are provided via soundproofed enclosures. These enclosures ensure that interpreters can work in a soundproof environment while translating the speaker’s message.
- Document interpretation. This document interpretation is a non-verbal form of interpretation. It allows accurate translation of written documents.
Quality Assurance Measures
The best interpretation service should employ quality assurance measures. This quality assurance measure ensures access to accurate interpretation. Thus, some of the checklists that determine the quality assurance by an interpretation service include the following:
- An ISO certification. ISO certification ensures that the interpretation provider is credible and trustworthy.
- Certified interpreters. Certified interpreters are those with the necessary training and certifications in interpreting. This certification includes a bachelor’s degree in foreign languages or communication.
- The use of both machines and humans. Using machines and humans for interpretation plays a crucial role in quality assurance. Thus, ensure that your interpretation services allow for both machine and human use.
- A regular audit of interpretations. A routine audit of interpretation plays a crucial role in quality assurance. It ensures that service providers can quickly point out areas that require change.
Technology and Infrastructure
Technology and infrastructure play an essential role in today’s interpretation services. They enable efficient communication across cultures and languages. Thus, it would be best if you considered the following aspects of technology and infrastructure when choosing an interpretation service:
- Web-based platforms;
- Mobile app interpretation platforms;
- The intuitive interface of the web-based and mobile app platforms;
- Virtual meeting platforms for interpretation;
- Speech recognition technologies;
- AI-powered interpretation tools;
There are several interpretation service providers in the market. However, not all providers will offer you the quality of services that suit your needs. Thus, it is essential to consider the above factors before choosing an interpreter for your project.
Have you ever used an interpreting service for your work? If so, what was your experience with that service?