The United States called on Friday for Hezbollah not to “take advantage” of the Israel-Hamas war after the Lebanese militants’ leader said “all options” were open.
“We and our partners have been clear: Hezbollah and other actors — state or non-state — should not try to take advantage of the ongoing conflict,” White House Press Secretary Karine Jean-Pierre told reporters.
In his first speech since war broke out last month between Hamas militants and Israel, the head of Hezbollah, the powerful Iranian-backed Shiite movement, said the United States was “entirely responsible” for the ongoing Gaza conflict, and could stave off a regional conflagration by preventing its ally Israel’s attacks.
Jean-Pierre said: “We will not engage in a war of words.
“The United States does not seek escalation or widening of the conflict that Hamas brought onto Israel.
“This has the potential of becoming a bloodier war between Israel and Lebanon than 2006. The United States does not want to see this conflict expand into Lebanon.
“The likely devastation for Lebanon and its people would be unimaginable and is avoidable.”