UPDATE: Police have issued a ‘all clear’ after a bomb threat near the United States Capitol that prompted the evacuation of several buildings.
Capitol Police are closing off roads around the complex due to a bomb threat at the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) building on Wednesday morning.
Around 10 a.m., the below stated roads have been closed to traffic:
- Independence Avenue Southwest between Washington Avenue and Third Street Southwest.
- Washington Avenue Southwest between Independence Avenue and C Street Southwest
- C Street between Second Street and Third Street Southwest
- D Street Southwest between Second Street and Fourth Street Southwest
- Second Street Southwest between Independence Avenue and Street Southwest
Heavy police presence can be viewed in front of the Capitol in the video below:
Quite the police presence in front of the Capitol itself pic.twitter.com/nYHU4LTlV0
— Andrew Solender (@AndrewSolender) October 27, 2021
The bomb threat on Wednesday came just three days after the most recent incident – a “specific threat” against uniformed Capitol Police officers. Officers from the USCP and the D.C. Police Department spent hours searching the Capitol complex on Sunday, but no suspect was found. According to USCP, the investigation into that threat is still ongoing.
Also, earlier this month, Capitol Police closed roads near the United States Supreme Court after a Michigan man illegally parked his car next to it and refused to move.
This is a breaking news story.. check back for more updates.