Xiaomi introduced its latest Android skin, MIUI 12 beta, on April 27, 2020. Currently, the stable version of the operating system is out and has, so far, been picked up by several devices. However, there are still a number of the Xiaomi phones that are yet to bag the new MIUI 12 update. One of them is the Redmi Note 9S smartphone, also called the Redmi Note 9 Pro in India. Xiaomi launched the device on July 26, 2020, and it brings a host of amazing features. However, the Redmi Note 9S users are still waiting to receive the new MIUI 12 update. According to a moderator in the Mi Community, there’s no ETA yet for the device. As such, the moderator suggests that the Redmi Note 9S users should opt for the device’s MIUI 12 ROM in India, to be able to install the update.
In case you’d like to install the MIUI 12 update on your Redmi Note 9S smartphone, we are here to show you a couple of ways to do that. All that you need to do is to scroll down and check for the method that suits you.
MIUI 12 Not Yet Available For Redmi Note 9S, Says Moderator
If you’re one of the Redmi Note 9S users waiting to install the MIUI 12 update, we’re sorry to break it to you that the ETA isn’t yet available. This information was made known by one of the moderators on the Mi Community. According to the MOD, users could make use of the Redmi Note 9 Pro MIUI 12 India ROM. However, if you don’t want to do that, you can wait for the Global release.
Here’s a brief of what the moderator said regarding the update below:
“For now, there’s no ETA. You may unlock the bootloader and flash the Indian Fastboot ROM as suggested above, else wait for the Global release.”
How To Install MIUI 12 Update On Your REDMI Note 9S
If you’re ready to install the MIUI 12 update on your Redmi Note 9S, it’s worth noting that there are two ways to do it. Let’s take it a step at a time and see how we can install the update below. However, before we start doing that, you need to first unlock the bootloader on your device. Find how to do that below.
Unlocking the Bootloader
Since it’s almost impossible to manually install the update or flash a ROM, it’s essential that you first unlock your device’s bootloader. You’ll be able to do that by following the methods below:
- First, you need to download and extract the Mi Unlock Tool on your personal computer.
- Next, head to your device’s Settings app and locate the About Phone. From there, enable the Developer Options by tapping on MIUI version “seven” times.
- After that, go the Additional Settings and tap on the Developer Options. From there, enable the USB Debugging and OEM Unlocking.
- Next, locate the Mi Unlock status option under the Developer options and choose it.
- Now, what’s next is to go to the “Add account and device” section to link your Mi account.
Before continuing, it’s worth noting that you might get an error message, which reads “error 86012”. If that happens, it’s advisable that you wait for about a week before trying to link your account again. Failure to do that might lead to your account getting blocked temporarily.
Furthermore, it’s also possible that you’ll get an error message like this: “Connect to the network & try again”. When it happens, all you need to do is log out from your device’s Mi account. After that, go to the Mi Unlock status page and sign-in directly using the “Add account and device” option.
- After successfully linking your Mi account, you’ll get a congratulatory message, which reads “Added successfully. Mi account is associated with the device now”.
- Next, go ahead and reboot your device in fastboot mode. You’ll be able to do that by pressing and holding the power and volume down button at the same time.
- After doing that, connect your Redmi Note 9S smartphone to your PC and open the already installed Mi Unlock Tool.
- Next, log in with your Mi Account ID. You should see a Phone Connected status. After that, tap on the “Unlock” button to unlock your Redmi Note 9S bootloader.
Another quick note
It’s likely that you might get a message that says “Current account is not bound to this device”. If that happens, it means you’ll have to re-do the fifth step above.
Now, it’s time to install the MIUI 12 update on your Redmi Note 9S smartphone. You can do that by using the link below:
Xiaomi Redmi Note 9 Pro India Stable Version V22.214.171.124.QJWINXM Download: link
Note, the download link above is a recovery type, and comes with MD5: 3429e721e1ac98fcdce606234e3e83a0. Furthermore, as mentioned earlier, you’ll be able to install the MIUI ROM on your Xiaomi device by using two methods, including Recovery and fastboot. The recovery method is done through the Updater app. As for the fastboot method, it’s done via the Mi Flash tool. So, let’s take it one at a time and begin the installation process.
Method 1: Using the Updater app to install MIUI 12 update on Redmi Note 9S
Without wasting much time, here’s how you can use the recovery method to install the MIUI 12 update on your Redmi Note 9S below:
- Have you downloaded the zip file above? If yes, you need to transfer the file to the internal storage of your Redmi device.
- Next, go to your device’s Settings app and locate “About Phone“. From there, go to the System Update (Updater app).
- You’ll see a menu at the right top right corner of the page. In case you don’t know, the menu option has three dots. So, tap on it and choose the “Update Package” option.
- Next, select the downloaded MIUI 12 file (Zip) and tap OK.
That’s it! The MIUI 12 update will now install on your Redmi Note 9S smartphone.
Furthermore, this method isn’t recommended for downgrading. As such, if you are the type that’s shifting from a beta build to a stable one, it might not work for you. Well, don’t feel bad about it, as the fastboot method will work for you.
Method 2: Using the Flash Tool to install MIUI 12 update on Redmi Note 9S
The second method, called Fastboot, will help you install MIUI 12 update on your Redmi Note 9S, using the following steps:
- First, reboot the Redmi phone in fastboot mode by using pressing and holding the power and volume down buttons simultaneously.
- Connect your Redmi Note 9S to the PC, which has the installed Mi Flash Tool.
- Launch the tool with admin privileges. After that, click on the “refresh” option to ensure the system recognizes the device.
- Next, copy the extracted ROM zip file path and paste it inside the dialog box of the Mi Flash Tool.
- Now, locate the “clean all” radio button at the bottom right corner of the page and select it.
- Next, click on the “Flash” button to continue. You’ll be able to locate that at the upper right corner, next to the refresh button.
- That’s all! However, you need to wait until the status changes to “Flash Done”. Furthermore, the result will also display “Success”.
With that, you’re now done with installing the MIUI 12 update on your Redmi Note 9S device. Expect the smartphone to reboot, after which you can start enjoying the new update. As for the global rollout of the MIUI 12 update for Redmi Note 9S, we’ll keep an eye on Xiaomi for any information regarding it. As soon as we find anything worth sharing, you can rest assured that we’ll notify you.